This summer, the Finger Lakes STEM Hub Steering Committee was hard at work developing a new Strategic Plan for the upcoming year. We developed a set of three S.M.A.R.T. goals and an Action Team to facilitate each goal. We invite all constituents to join one of our Action Teams if you are seeking a fulfilling and productive volunteer opportunity that will enable you to contribute to the and learn from our vibrant Finger Lakes Regional community,
Our mission and vision are largely unchanged:
The Finger Lakes STEM Hub is a catalyst for collaboration among business, education, community organizations, government entities and passionate individuals leveraging diverse resources together to advance the interdisciplinary teaching and learning of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines for sustained economic vitality in our nine- county Finger Lakes Region.
The Finger Lakes STEM Hub is an exemplary region thriving on collaborative innovation and inspiring learners to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
What is new?
We have developed a set of Core Values: collaboration, innovation, economic vitality, education, and sustainability
We are committed to…
- developing college and career readiness among all students that is guided by an understanding among teachers, parents and students of STEM careers of the 21st Century and the pathways to achieve them.
- creating, sustaining and enriching partnerships across sectors and geographic boundaries that respect the mutual needs and resources of partners, are grounded in dynamic two-way dialogue and advance creative solutions to our STEM challenges.
- assuring that all learners have access to and are aware of STEM opportunities in order to achieve social justice, economic security and respect for the diversity they bring to their community.
- achieving measurable results that are communicated, evaluated and part of an ongoing continuous improvement process in order to enable innovation and sustainable change.
- action; we are a catalyst, enabler and accelerant in a region that is rich with resources and readiness for collaborative innovation – we are poised to become recognized leaders for our efforts.
From these and our three Priority Areas, we have developed three S.M.A.R.T. Goals:
Professional Learning – to provide educators with transdisciplinary, inquiry-based, real world opportunities to enhance confidence and competence in preparing students for college and careers.
S.M.A.R.T. Goal: By leveraging partnerships, we will develop a cadre of 25 educators by June 2014 who will be pioneers and turnkey trainers in developing STEM learning that integrates career awareness and mandatory teaching/learning standards (i.e. Common Core, NGSS, APPR).
Community Awareness and Involvement–to advance the importance of STEM education and careers by sharing information and best practices and by exciting and engaging stakeholders.
S.M.A.R.T. Goal: Establish a partnership with the AD Council of Rochester and develop a public media campaign promoting the meaning and importance of STEM education, by May, 2014.
Student Impact – To identify and promote STEM activities and events that are engaging, exciting, and empowering for students.
S.M.A.R.T. Goal: Identify and recognize a minimum of 5 exemplary STEM initiatives in the region by September, 2014.
We invite you to contact the us if you are interested in getting involved.